What is the cure for severe insomnia?

I have severe isomnia - i will not fall asleep for years. Ambien was my aid but it no longer helps at all. 2 tablets of carisooprodol (350 mg each) puts be to sleep for about9 hrs. and I feel good. My family dr will not prescribe without the approval of my psychiatrist; psychiatrist will not prescribe without the approval of my family doctor. Neither gives me an answer as to why. Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Addiction potential Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. Most physicians currently are reluctant to prescribe carisoprodol or XXXXXXX because it has clear addictive potential, as well as potential for serious withdrawal. There is no perfect answer for medications to use for insomnia; since it is a chronic disorder, your body gets used to them. Benzo's such as oxazepam can be effective but lead ultimately to the same issue... My best advise would be to see a Sleep Medicine specialist, who can also help with the non-medication aspects of your sleep hygiene. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic