What is the cure for severe heartburn and nausea during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I am 27 weeks 5 days pregnant with my second child, who is measuring about 5 weeks ahead. I have recently been experiencing severe heartburn and nausea and vomitting. I have taken tums with little to no relief. I am a cardiac nurse by profession and today am experiencing some left arm weakness and of course and quite concerned. However I have been sleeping propped up to help with the heartburn. I have had an echo and my EF is normal and structurally my heart is completely normal and healthy. Just wondering if this is something I should investigate further. I am a 26 yr old white female, no htn, diabetes, don't smoke, don't drink and even at 28 weeks pregnant am not over weight.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hormones Detailed Answer: Hi, The body undergoes many changes during pregnancy due to alteration in hormones. The intensity of vomitting and gastritis varies in person to person on threshold. The basic reason for increased gastritis is due to laxity of lower esophagus stoch connection which become loose due to progesterone. Hence I feel this is physiological. The weakness is also in hand you are experiencing is temporary due to stretching of ligaments and muscles in body secondary to hormones and also increasing size of baby which body has to accomodate by relaxing and enlarging ligaments, muscles and bone joints. The good news is that you have reached 28 weeks which is good for baby viability. There is no need to investigate further as this is physiological and many women experience it. You can continue supportive treatment with antacid syrup to make you get some relief from gastritis. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol