What is the cure for reoccurring painful spots on scalp?

General Surgeon
I have a soft, painful spot on my scalp that when I pull out the hair on the spot, fluid drains, then forms a scab and eventually goes away. I've had this most of my adult life.
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hair follicle inflammation. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Soft and painful area on the scalp soft tissues is most likely caused by hair follicle inflammation or sebaceus cyst (this gives usually a lump). Both conditions can recur and both can give fluid discharge. As it is present for a long time, I suggest you to visit a doctor. In case of lump, ultrasound should be done and lump removed for further testing. In case of hair follicle inflammation, some antibiotic or antifungal shampoo seems to be advisable. Please visit dermatologist with your problem. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.