What is the cure for raspy voice with choking sensation and high thyroid levels?

i was in the hospital 7 weeks ago with tightening in my thoart they said my thyroid levels were high and to follow up with my family dr which i have done. since than i have developed a rasphy voice lost a few pounds have a choking feeling all the time and have a frequent cough. i have a appointment with an endocrinology but now until janurary 20. i'm scared to wait . what is your opinion.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer: there may be a thyroid mass Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic INcreased levels of thyroid hormones cause weight loss because they increase the body's metabolic rate. The choking sensation, raspy voice and frequent cough may indicate that they may be pressure on the vocal cords. There are different causes for hyperthyroidism (high levels of thyroid hormone) but in some cases there may be an associated increased size of the thyroid gland. The gland can then compress some of the underlying structures such as the vocal cords. It may not be visibly enlarged to you but with a history of increased hormones levels this is the most likely cause. At your visit, imaging tests would be suggested to determine the size of the gland. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions