What is the cure for post concussion symptoms and nausea with blurring peripheral vision?

Nov 2013

Hi,Dr XXXXXXX I had a car accident six weeks ago. It was low speed, I hit a pole and both airbags deployed. I felt ok apart from irritable eyes, blocked ears and some burns on my hands. I went to the doctor a week later and he said that I have concussion. The CT scan I had was Clear .... I also had an MRI that showed up as clear. I initially experienced ear blockages in both ears to a varying degree and headache type pain in the left back part of my head. My eyes also burn and have suffered a small pigment epithileal detachment in my left eye and a disturbance in my right eye. I had my eyes tested to 20/20 or 6/5 and can see somewhat normally. I have nausea and some balance/headache/nausea issues along with burning eyes and sometimes blurring of my peripheral vision in my right eye or both, that goes away after about 1 hour. (Will these peripheral vision episodes resolve themselves?) I also have symptoms of Post concussion symptoms including irritability and riding a wave of emotions. I am at a loss of what to do or what has happened to me? I do not have a family history of MS, Glaucoma, stroke etc.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for posting your query. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted your complaints and would first like to reassure you that there is no need to worry, as these symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological disease. Your symptoms are mostly due to post-concusison syndrome and would resolve on its own soon. In addition, you also seem to be having a viral infection, which has increased your symptoms. As of now, you can take symptomatic treatment. No further tests are necessary at present, as MRI is normal. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What is the cure for post concussion symptoms and nausea with blurring peripheral vision? 54 minutes later
Thank you. I am concerned about my peripheral vision and the "flashes" I see. are you able to shed more light on that? Is it neurological? Thanks again -XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Episodic blurring of peripheral vision could be neurological, if there was injury to cerebral cortex. However, your MRI is normal. Also, in some cases of migraine, these symptoms could occur before the headaches, called as visual aura. In your case, you should also see an ophthalmologist, especially a retina specialist as these visual symptoms could occur with retinal disease. Elevated intra-ocular pressure should also be excluded. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)