What is the cure for persistent infection after jaw removal?

My father is 79 years. A section of the jaw was removed as it was affected by radiation received 5 years ago. An implant was installed. However he has been fighting infection and there is a hole protruding from side to side and liquid leaks when he drinks liquids. He has been on antibiotics for the past 7 months and receiving hyperbaric treatment for the past 5 weeks. What are his options?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Implant must be replaced to control infection! Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this persistent infection. I understand how difficult it must have been for you to see him battle through cancer, radiation treatment and this current complication. Please, stand strong and support hi as he battle this infection. Considering all the information you have provided, there may not be very many options for your father. The persistence of this infection despites antibiotics for the past weeks is concerning. Whenever there is an implant that gets infected, the single must effective way to get it controlled is to get the implant out. This is because the germs take refuge in these inert material and no amount of antibiotics can get rid of them because of no blood supply. This means the infection would just go on and on. I don't know whether this implant can be replaced given his over all state of health but this is the single option that can be of much help to him. Please, discuss this with his treating doctor and hear what their thoughts are. I hope you find this helpful. I wish him well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.