What is the cure for persistent cough?

May 2014

I have cough for the last 3 months that refuses to go away. I had a respiratory tract infection and took antiobiotics before 3 months but still the cough persists. I usually get this cough twice in a year and it goes away by itself. This time it is persisting.. I have no breathing difficulties. Just a loud cough along with which I get thick mucus. Smoking - Yes ,3 to 5 a day. Alcohol - Moderate, once in a month.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Cough for 3 months which is persisting needs complete evaluation by a doctor. First of all you may need a chest X ray and blood tests to see for any infective organisms and allergies. Any sputum produced may also be tested for infective organisms. You have not written about any weight loss or fever therefore I consider you do not have the symptoms. Please stop smoking as the smoke may contain irritants which cause inflammation of your respiratory tract. Taking alcohol once a month can be allowed. Further you are advised to do salt water gargles twice a day for 15 days. Take precaution from cold weather exposure. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr,Vivek