What is the cure for kidney disease?

dear sir;
i have a renal kidney disease what is cure for that.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your question is quite general and I would like to know some more details from you regarding what is going on. First - when were you told you had some degree of kidney disease? Was there a cause which your physician identified such as hypertension, diabetes, or medications? Do you have a baseline creatinine measurement or some bloodwork which was done in the recent past? If so I would like for you to share those with me. You can reply with them here or if you have a scanned copy you may email them to my attention at YYYY@YYYY .

As for a cure - generally we don't approach kidney disease in a sense of cure. What we do usually is to optimize the function of the kidney and protect it from additional damage so that the patient can function well and live a long and happy life. I can answer with more detail regarding this after you share the additional information I requested.

Thank you again for submitting your query.

Dr. Galamaga
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later

Thank you for providing the followup information.

I am pleased to report to you that after careful review of your results I see no abnormality with your kidney function.

Your labs are completely normal.There may be a bit of confusion regarding ranges which are reported on the sheet.

In your case, if you are Non-African then your GFR should be above 59. Yours is 89 and that is perfectly fine and good.

There is no limitation of kidney function at all in reviewing your labs.

The other measure of kidney function which we look at is the creatinine and again yours is right in the middle range of normal.

This is all excellent news for me to report to you.

I hope you have found my reply and this information to be helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What is the cure for kidney disease? 5 hours later
Thanks for the response regarding my blood results

Well I was having problems with frequent urination and a weak stream with burning sensation. Also burning sensations in the legs below knees and feet.

So I was thinking it was a kidney problem, so I quess I'm having issues with my prostate.

How can I better my prostae to function normally???

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

A urinalysis would be helpful in this and if there is no sign of an infection then it could be the prostate. There are some supplements which may help such as Saw Palmetto which is available at any general nutrition store. If symptoms persist you could consider medication which can shrink the prostate and make it a bit easier to urinate. These are available via a prescription from your primary care provider.

I am more inclined to think that your prostate is the cause of the issue. A serum PSA should be checked as well as this can help your doctor guide any treatment.

Again I thank you for your query. I hope you have found my response to be both adequate and informative.

Dr. Galamaga.