What is the cure for hyperacidity ?

I've had indigestion for the last week off and on and have been awoken almost every night with it. I have also experienced extreme bloating in my upper abdomen throughout the week. Tonight I am burping up lots of acid and I am feeling a little nauseated and have the hiccups. I have had very little sleep over the last week, but am hesitant about going to the doctor since I have no insurance. I need some guidance as to how serious this is and whether I should go to the ER or just find a doctor first.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

You seem to be suffering from hyperacidity, which is making you nauseous and may also be causing the hiccups. You can try the following to relieve your symptoms:

1. You can take over-the-counter anatacids such as Gelusil. You can also take omeprazole tablets before meals for a few days.
2. You need to modify your diet. Bland,non spicy,non oily food and small meals is recommended.Drink lots of water. Try not to have food 3 to 4 hours before going to bed.
3. If your bowels are not clear,use a laxative.

If there is no relief in a few days,then you will have to see a doctor for prescription drugs and some tests.If the bloating doesn't reduce,then an ultrasound may also needed. Acidity can be a symptom of many types of GI disorders. Only an examination and some tests can pinpoint which type of disorder.