What is the cure for frequent leg pain due to polio paralysis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am Physically Challenged and My left limb was affected with Post polio paralysis when I was one year old. From then on, my left leg is shorter by 2 and half inches and I wear a caliper to adjust this height. However, I encounter frequent leg pain especially on my right leg and kind of got addicted to pain killer, currently I take Combiflam. Could you please suggest a way to better my leg problem along with an alternative medicine. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be a muscle pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the right leg that you are having is likely to be due to a positional anomaly caused by a shortened and weak left leg. Such muscular pains are common in deformed limbs due to the extra load the healthy limb has to bear. Taking a mild pain killer like Combiflam is not harmful if that helps with your pain. To decrease the pain, you can do a hot fomentation of the legs and apply a local analgesic ointment like Volini gel. For a long term benefit, I would recommend you to go for limb strengthening exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist. This will help in decreasing the imbalance between the limbs and will decrease the postural abnormalities. Alternatively, you can also massage oil of Glutheria regularly for relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.