What is the cure for foul smell in stools of a child?

my son aged 8 years having foul stools problem. Over all his health is good and not complaining any stomach aches etc. But after visting wash room, it smells very bad. He is regularly goes for toilet once a day and drinks water nomally. Please the remidy
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 33 hours later
Brief Answer: Watch if he has other symptoms... Detailed Answer: Hi, Foul smell from stool is due to the action of bacteria in the gut. Patients with increased intestinal transit have a foul smelling stool. However this condition is generally short lived and improves with time. I would suggest you to continue giving him plenty of water. Add fibre rich diet - fruits and vegetables in his food to increase stool bulk and improve intestinal transit. Allow him to take yoghurt (if he is not lactose intolerant) and probiotic supplement such sporolac thrice a day for 3 days. Watch out for loose stools, abdominal pain or any other issues with bowel movements. If you note any, visit a doctor. Hope this helps. let me know if you need clarification. Regards