What is the cure for diarrhea?

I have had diarreah for the past 5 days with lots of gas. All I've been eating is bananas rice and toast and lots of water. The last bowel movement was lots of gas very loose with light what looked like curds. I do have some discomfort on my right side underneath my rib cage.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...cause of short term diarrhoea is generally viral or bacterial infection. Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. In general most of the time the diarrhoea is caused by a viral nfevtion and sometimes by bacterial or parasitic infection. For viral infection,there is no need to take any antibiotics. This viral diarrhoea generally lasts 5-7 days. Treatment consists of BRAT diet like banana,rice,applesauce and toast along with plenty of water,coconut water etc for taking care of dehydration,the way you are taking. You should be all right in next couple of days. Take some probiotic also like probiotic capsules and yoghurt and take some proton pump inhibitor like PANTOPROZOLE 40 mg once a day in morning on empty stomach.This shall take care of gas formation. In case you are not all right in next 2-3 days ,you may consult a doctor and get the stool examined microscopically and doing culture. proper antibiotic would then be given according to culture report. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks