What is the cure for constant bloating and constipation?

I have constant bloating and constipation issues. I recently had an upper endoscopy which highlighted I had gastritis. I was prescribed Prilosec for it. The doctor also administered a laxative which has helped with the constipation a bit, but the bloating has not went away. I didn't mention to the doctor because didn't think it was relevant at the time but I seem to retain an excessive amount of water during exercise. Every morning I wake up my stomach is very flat then with fluids and food throughout the day it extends to the point I look pregnant. I have tried many over the counter remedies such as digestive enzymes, probiotics, aloe vera, caraway seeds, fennel, peppermint along with many other things. I havent been able to find a direct link in certain food I may be eating this issues seems to happen with everything from veggies, almonds, sweets, meats, dairy etc.. The doctor did a full blood allergy panel and found out I was allergic to shellfish, however I do not eat fish at all. I have been attempting to give up possible gluten since I have some similar symptoms but still in early stages of that. I am at a lose for what to do I am suppose to do a follow up with my doctor in a few months but she didn't really have any answers and the PA basically told me they didn't know and I can try whatever I want to try to alleviate my symptoms. This didn't seem real promising and I am continuing to look for guidance. Also I want to add this is an on going issue that I have had for many years and it is very hindering to my lifestyle I would really like to find some cure or anything that will help lessen my symptoms
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Directed Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query Postprandial bloating can be secondary to either intestinal obstruction or a motility issue. As the problem is a long lasting one it is unlikely to be secondary to an intestinal obstruction. Intestinal motility isuues could be a primary problem or can be secondary to other illness like hypothyroidism, calcium problems, malabsorption diseases like celiac or lactose intolerance / Vit B12 deficiency and also secondary to gastritis. Some of these can be associated with constipation. Hence discuss these with your doctor and get tested for them. I wouldn't suggest you to go empirically on a gluten free diet as it is a lifelong commitment and entails a lot of food restriction. It is always better to establish that you are gluten sensitive before starting gluten free diet. So discuss this also with your doctor and get a tTGA-IgA test done. Meanwhile be off milk and take some fibre supplements. Regards Dr XXXXXXX KS
Follow-up: What is the cure for constant bloating and constipation? 5 hours later
They did check my thyroid and said it was fine.. they also ran that celiac test.. but I heard you can still be intolerant to something and not allergic to it.. so people suggested trying to give it up for a month and see if there is a difference? I have been taking fiber supplements for years.. I use to take calcium supplements all the time but didn't seem to make a difference.. I can pick up some b12 and see if that helps.. The doctor prescribed me some laxatives that have helped a bit but the bloating hasn't and I get when I eat a large meal that can happen.. but my biggest thing is even when I drink stuff that's not water it happens or eat something small like a tablespoon of peanut butter or a handful or nuts, a piece a fruit or even the smallest things it happens too.. Do you think there is a connection with me working out and retaining a ton of water and bloating then too?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Addressed Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the follow up I see that you have been investigated and the reports are normal. Bloating is usually not seen with drinking lots of water unless you have an underlying cardiac or liver issue. Milk intolerance is the commonest cause of bloating ; so try quiting milk first. You can also take a course of a topical antibiotic called rifaximin for 3 weeks and see. Contact your doctor to get a prescription. Regards Dr XXXXXXX