Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cure for anal leakage?

I started having anal leakage (thick mucous with a fishy smell) a few months ago. I do not have anal sex and have not placed any objects in my anus. My doctor had me undergo a colonoscopy but found nothing. It's very embarrassing and affects my day to day activities. What can possibly be causing it and how do I stop it? Also, I don't eat the fish (butterfish) or the chips (wow chips) that I've read can cause this.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more information to give a complete answer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion. 1. How long have you been having this symptom? 2. How are your bowel movements? 3. Any blood in stools? 4. Any discomfort in the tummy? Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: What is the cure for anal leakage? 5 minutes later
I have had this problem for 9 months now. My bowel movements are normal although I've noticed less sphincter control than in the past. I sometimes pass gas without intending it. I haven't noticed blood in my stool but I've seen it on the toilet paper. No discomfort in the tummy. I should also tell you that I'm a heavy drinker if that has any bearing. I would like to rule out any and all possibilities. Cancer? Liver damage? Prostate or pituitary gland issues? I've talked to to my doctor about this and also my brother (internal medicine specialist for 20 years) and they are both baffled. Thank you, Dr. Kini, for your attention to this.
Follow-up: What is the cure for anal leakage? 18 hours later
Did you receive the more detailed information you requested from me? When may I expect an answer?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for providing additional information. Mucus is normally secreted by the colon. Some amount of mucus per rectum is normal. But increased amount of mucus is not normal. This along with increased gas and a normal colonoscopy may indicate a function disease like an irritable bowel syndrome. especially if you have a change in bowel habits. Sometimes this can be due to intestinal parasites. A stool analysis may be done. Take probiotic supplements and yogurt. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini