What is the correct dose for Obelit? Does this reduce the natural energy to absorb fat when I discontinue it?

Q1. What is the correct dose. Do I take it only when about to eat heavy meals Q2. What when I stop taking obelit. Does taking it reduces the natural energy to absorb fat when we discontinue it. Q3. Can we take 2tab in one day. Before each meal Q4. Apart from oily discharge any other side effect
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exercise and diet modification are best Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, The best way to reduce weight is by exercising and diet modifications. Orlistat is indicated for obese patients with an initial body mass index (BMI) ≥ 30 kg/m² or ≥ 27 kg/m² in the presence of other risk factors (eg, hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia) and are not compliant to exercise and diet modifications. But since you have been started on Orlistat , let's discuss your question. A1.The recommended maximum dose is one 120-mg capsule three times a day with each main meal containing fat (during or up to 1 hour after the meal). A2. When you achieve your target , stop it. I advise you to stop it earliest. natural fat absorption shouldn't be affected on discontinuation , but yes, you may have fat intolerance persisting for little more time A3. i told you the dosage , you should consult your prescribing doctor for prescription and perfect dosage according to your targets. A4. Most common adverse effects are are gastrointestinal-related, and include steatorrhea (oily, loose stools with excessive flatus due to unabsorbed fats reaching the large intestine), fecal incontinence and frequent or urgent bowel movements. Few case reports of liver injury have been reported. i hope i am able to solve your query , if you still have ask me Stay Healthy
Follow-up: What is the correct dose for Obelit? Does this reduce the natural energy to absorb fat when I discontinue it? 49 minutes later
sir what did u mean by fat intolerance for few days. does it mean weight gain in excess of what naturally occurs At present I m taking 1 tablet just before dinner generally.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Fat intolerance may subside Detailed Answer: I simply mean that fat intolerance occurs, so take low fat diet. About dose is that it should be decided by your primary doctor depending on your BMI , your weight status. I usually start my patients with twice daily dosage , after few days give them 60 mg upto thrice daily But a lot of factors have to be seen before deciding the dose. If you don't have any further query please close the discussion and rate it.