What is the correct dosage for the drugs Azithromycin and Relent for cough and cold?

General Surgeon
my 2.5 yr old kid suffers from cold and cough. Cough is intense at night when she hits the bed. We are doing Azithromycin and Relent(Ambroxol + Cetrizine). She weighs 13kg. What is the correct dosage for the drugs?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Azithromycin 130 mg once a day for 3 days Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX The dosage of Azithromycin is 10 mg per kilogram body weight given once a day for three days , so it will be 130 mg once a day for three days. Dosage of Cetrizine is 0.2 mg per kilogram body weight that is (13 × 0.2) 2.5 mg twice a day. Apart from this I would like to suggest you the following. As you know Respiratory tract infection is very common in children, it's usually caused by Virus and is usually self limiting. It requires supportive care. 1. Give her hot fluids : Hot tomato or chicken soup with black pepper added . It will be soothening to the throat. 2. Decoction: To a cup of milk + 10 Tulsi leaves + 1 spoon of turmeric + 2 gm of fresh ginger + 2 black pepper + 2 spoon of sugar. Bring it to boil. Feed the baby hot using watti and spoon. It will be very soothening to the throat. Tulsi will also act as natural antiseptic. 3. Warm saline gargling : To a glass of lukewarm water add two spoon of common table salt. Make baby gargle if possible with it twice a day. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing your daughter speedy recovery and happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon