What is the chances of getting false BP result?

should I fire My doctor if I think the nurse is reading my blood pressure wrong. She is the only nurse that has said I have high blood pressure. I have taken my bp many times afterword and I even had anther nurse check it for me, and my bp has always been normal
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the instructions below...

Detailed Answer:

I would recommend to measure your blood pressure for at least 1 week on daily basis, record the results and then, we can judge if your bp is normal or might have slight oscillation.

Please keep in mind than there are certain rules that should be strictly followed when it comes to measuring the BP:

1. BP is not measured directly when you come in the clinic. You must stay sit and rest for at least 20 minutes. This is to avoid false results. However, when it is an emergency, the BP is measured straight away to take the right treatment.

2. BP is measured 3 times and the average is then, calculated and recorded as the result.

3. During measurement, doctor/nurse would evaluate the heart rates as it could better judgement on current bp result.

So, keep all these in mind and measure your BP for one entire week, morning and afternoon (twice daily), record the results, and pass them to the doctor or to me and would evaluate if your BP is ok or not.

All the best!