What is the cause of white powder in ear?

Feb 2013

What is the white powder in ear?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The possible causes for the presence of white powder in the ear are :

1.Seborreic dermatitis

3.Presence of dandruff in scalp

4.Dried cerumen

5.Dried soap material which entered and got dried

Seborreic dermatitis of ear canals and scalp presents with excessive secretion of sebum which present like a white powder after getting dried.

Presence dandruff in scalp will lead to fall of the white powder like material in the ear which enters into ear canal.

The other possibilities are the wax which is produced in the external ear canal which gets dried or dried soap material which entered while taking bath.

Ears and scalp examination by the doctor is needed to know the exact reason for the presence of white powder.

If it is due to presence of excessive wax accumulation it can be removed by direct vision or by prescribing ear drops for wax.

The other conditions like seborrhea, psoriasis, and dandruff requires prescription of steroid creams or medicated shampoos for relief.

Hence I advise you to consult an ENT surgeon for ears examination and for treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.