What is the cause of watering in the eye?
User rating for this question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX and I'm having problams with my eyes. Not sure if it would be pink eye. Or maybe really bad pollen. But my eyes have been watering like crazy for a week now. And they are really red. I have this yellow discharge coming out of my eye. And when I sleep at night and wake up next morning, I have to pull my eyelids open.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer: more likely infectious Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the conjunctival lining of the eye. It can be infectious (bacterial or viral ) or due to allergies. Allergic conjunctivitis can be associated with a discharge but it is normally clear or mucoid (mucus like).It is not usually yellow in appearance. The fact that the discharge you are noticing is yellow makes it more likely to be an infection causing your symptoms. Viral conjunctivitis is more common than bacterial conjunctivitis. Viral conjunctivitis can last 10 to 14 days and is only treated symptomatically. That means that treatment is not for the virus itself but only for the symptoms. It includes cleaning the eye regularly , using cold compresses and artificial tears to relieve any discomfort. Bacterial conjunctivitis requires the use of antibiotic drops. The only way to definitely distinguish between the 2 is an eye swab but this is not commonly done. You can consider the use of the symptomatic treatment for a few days ( 2 to 3). If during this time there is any significant worsening then you should visit your doctor because antibiotic drops would be needed. If you are not comfortable waiting for assessment then you should visit your doctor sooner for a check. Summary- unlikely allergy, more likely infectious
People also viewed
- What causes continuous watering of eyes
- Can a tender knot in a muscle be due to myofascial pain syndrome?
- Can my obsessively doing health research be due to hypochondria?
- Yellow gooey stuff coming out of eye
- What causes irritation in eyes with headache and eye pain
- Can hand-foot-and-mouth disease cause feeling of being unwell ?
- What causes water eyes when watching television
- White liquid coming out of eyes
- What is the cause of watering in the eye
- Can my abdominal cramps be due to blastocystis hominis infection?
- Does poor eating, poor growth signify patent ductus arteriosus ?
- White stuff coming out of kids eye
- Stinging and watering from the eyes what is causing this
- Liquid coming out of newborn eye
- Liquid coming out of eye