What is the cause of traces of blood in urine?

General Surgeon
understanding what could couse the drs to find traces of blood in the urine.
And having ocasional pain in the upper part of the stomach right below the rib cage. that comes and goes mostly feel it after I eat a meal or am sitting for a long time. I had abdominal intestenal sergury almost 2 years ago. and have high blood pressure take Metoperel and hydrclorithyazide for it thay also try me on a omeperozel acid pill for the stomach pain but it dosnt help. I have also been told that my potassium level was very low. and have been diagnosed with tachardia.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Traces of blood in the urine can be caused by urinary tract infection, urinary tract stones. If the test were done during menses, it can be the source of this blood. Sometimes, blood in the urine is a first symptom of urinary bladder cancer.
But the infection is most common reason. With it, you may also have frequent urinating, burning while urinating, back pain, lower abdominal pain.

Upper middle abdominal pain can be caused by peptic ulcers, stomach inflammation or infection caused by Helicobacter Pylori. With this diseases, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite can be also present. Chest burning can appear.

Abdominal pain in upper right abdomen radiating to the back can be caused by gallstones or pancreas inflammation. The pain is usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, alcohol. Nausea is very characteristic.

As you have had intestinal surgery, bowels obstruction should be also considered. After every abdominal surgery adhesions appear in the abdominal cavity and can impede bowel movements, making them narrow. If there were some intestines anastomosis (connection of two parts of the intestine), this connection can become narrow after some time and impede bowels movements.

Low potassium level can be caused by low potassium intake in the diet (low meat, banana, mineral water intake), laxatives, vomiting, diarrhea, kidneys disease. Tachycardia can be caused by low potassium level. Moreover, low potassium level can cause abdominal pain and bowel movements problems.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some diagnostics. Urine analysis, urine culture test, abdominal ultrasound, abdominal X-ray, blood work, liver tests, ions level should be done at first. Depending of the results, gastroscopy and abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be considered.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee, alcohol. Increase mineral water intake, boiled meat, banana.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: What is the cause of traces of blood in urine? 30 hours later
I am waiting for the results f my abdominal altrasound. thanks for the advice about the blood in theurine. No it was not around the time of my period.
My pain / discomfort is lways in the upper left areaf my stomach. no were else even arund the time of my period which seems weird to me. I also am awken at nig wit pain in the rectal area and have a lot of pain/ discomfort and a hard time with mybowel movements eventhough I regularly take fiber supplements. I apreciated your help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Rectal pain and bowel movement problem can be caused by also caused by partial bowels obstruction (due to abdominal surgery). So mentioned abdominal CT with oral contrast most likely will be necessary.

Your rectal pain can be associated with large intestine issue, however it can be also caused by anal fissure. This condition is caused by hard stool and constipation. Due to increased pressure in the rectum, small wound appears. This wound gives much pain especially when passing the stool. Doctor should examine your rectum to rule this condition out.

Hope this will help.