What is the cause of sudden weight gain, bloating and fatigue?

I have gained 5 pounds in one week. I am severely bloated and fatigued.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid dysfunction more likely Detailed Answer: Hi, You seem to have gained 5 pounds in a week. You also are bloated and fatigued. One common problem that could present this way is under-functioning thyroid gland or Hypothyroidism. The other cause would be kidney dysfunction. I would suggest you 2 to 3 specific tests to find out the cause for the same: 1. Thyroid function test 2. Renal or Kidney function test 3. A electrocardiogram of the heart (just to make sure your heart is normal). Do get these tests done, and see if you find a cause for your symptoms. If these are ruled out, think about late onset Diabetes Mellitus as a cause too. hope this helps you. Regards,