Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cause of shoulder and neck pain?

For over 2 months, i've had a XXXXXXX pain in my right shoulder, especially when sleeping, and pain in the neck..worse when I crunch my shoulder upwards. Lately my upper arms and upper shoulders feel somewhat weak and painful, like 'I ve been lifting weights. I'm vey concerned. I'm a 56 year old male, slightly overweight. Have had a few tingling sensations in some fingers and toes. What could my problem be ?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 2 hours later

Your symptoms suggest the possibility of a condition called Cervical Spondylosis.

Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disorder in which there is abnormal wear on the cartilage and bones of the cervical spine.

More common symptoms are:
1. Neck pain (may radiate to the arms or shoulder)
2. Neck stiffness that gets worse over time
3. Loss of sensation or abnormal sensations in the shoulders, arms, or (rarely) legs
4. Weakness of the arms or (rarely) legs
5. Headaches, particularly in the back of the head

Diagnosis can be confirmed only by a proper physical examination and with the help of few investigations like:
1. X-ray Cervical Spine, lateral and PA view.
2. MRI Cervical Spine
3. EMG

So I suggest you consult a Orthopedic Surgeon for the proper examination and confirmation of the diagnosis.

1. Physiotherapy - To learn exercises to do at home
2. Analgesics (pain killers)
3. Cortisone injections to specific areas of the spine

If the pain does not respond to these measures, or there is a loss of movement or feeling, surgery is to be considered.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.