What is the cause of recurrent aspiration?

I seem to have liquids "go down the wrong pipe" quite often, or choke when I try to swallow.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need formal swallowing study Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your important query. Recurrent aspiration is a major cause of morbidity in older patients and ofetn unrecognized. The symptoms you indicate may be indicate of dysphagia, and I would advise you to be seen by a Speech Language Pathologist, who are the true specialists in swallowing. They would do a clinical examination and probably order a barium sawllow test to "see you in action". If dysphagia is noted, they can give recommendations on your diet to avoid aspiration and thus infections like pneumonia. Hope that is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN