What is the cause of pulsating veins in my temples?

Jun 2014

The veins in my temples are pulsating the past few days. No pain. I'm 48........had a lot of emotional stress.I'm on 1 mg klonopin for about 8 years, .25 mg Seroquel.......I've been on tons of psychiatric antidepressants and pain meds for many years to control my symptoms. Normally I have low bp....
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stress or arteritis Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for choosing healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help to in this problem. First of all, i want to say that it is it is probably an artery and not a vein. This is pulsating superficial temporal artery and sometimes it can become much more visible, It is entirely normal. In your case, there are few possibilities like due to underline stress or some connective disorder. You have mentioned that you have fibromyalgia and you have been on number of drugs, but still you have pain in body due to which you are in stress. May be due to pulsating superficial temporal artery you have this symptom. It happens when more blood is being pumped around body. So, when the blood supply is increased to the particular blood vessel you are able to feel it throb in that area. That could be the one reason behind this pulsating artery. In that case, do some relaxation exercise like JPMR or increase dose of klonopin after consultation with your doctor. That would help in improving the symptoms. If it is due to some underline connective tissue disorder like temporal arteritis, then other symptoms like swelling, tenderness, headache etc may be present. In your case, no such kind of symptoms are present, then chances of arteritis is very less. To rule out this, you can consult a physician. Just send me the detail of drugs you have been taking, so i could give you my opinion about treatment. I think, you would be satisfied with the answer. In case you need further query, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist