What is the cause of protruding out of the lower ribs in a 10 month baby?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
HI my son is 10 months old and i have noticed that his lower ribs seem to protrude to the naked and flare out when you run your hand down them. He also has craniosynostosis of the sagittal suture.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The protruding out of the lower ribs in a 10 months old is likely to be due to a Vitamin D deficiency or calcium deficiency. For diagnosis, you can get his serum Vitamin D 3 levels, serum calcium levels and serum alkaline phosphatase levels estimated.
The treatment involves adequate supplementation according to the deficiency. The protrusion of the chest wall gets corrected as the child grows.
A consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.