Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cause of pain in the roof of the mouth?

I have serious pains in the rugae section of my mouth behind my top teeth in the ridge section, it's sensitive to the touch. Whenever I touch it with my tongue or eat something I feel the pain and sensitivity. It has been 3 days and I'm waiting for it to heal. What is the cause of this?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

As far as the pain in the roof of your mouth which you have referred to, there are a couple of possible factors which may have triggered this. The first and most common factor would be trauma to the roof of the mouth. This typically occurs when eating the foods which have sharp edges or with foods which are very hot in the temperature. This causes a local inflammatory response in the area of the roof of the mouth which will heal over a number of days with usually lasts about four or five days.

Another consideration would be an allergic reaction. If you consume something which your body does not agree with or what you are a allergic to it could trigger swelling in the roof of your mouth. This could also occur in response to an environmental allergy.

The last consideration might be trauma to the roof of your mouth with a brushing your teeth. This is a common occurrence as well.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I expect your condition you have referred to slowly and gradually improve over the next two or three days. If for some reason this does not occur or if the swelling or pain gets worse I recommend you visit with your primary care physician for a complete examination.

Dr. Galamaga