What is the cause of pain in the left buttock cheek?

I have had pain in the left buttocks cheek where it meets my thigh for a week now. I recently notice a slight swelling. No redness or warmth, just a puffiness. No injuries and no wounds. Haven't exercised at the gym for over a week. However, did try new gluteal machine. However, did not notice any pain during use or afterwards. I'm otherwise a healthy 58 year old female, don't drink, don't smoke, not overweight. Could this be muscular or something else.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: most likely muscular Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic There are different possible causes of pain that can occur in the bony and soft tissues (muscles, ligaments, surrounding fatty tissue). Infection of any of these areas would cause fever, redness, warmth, significant impaired mobility , loss of appetite, fatigue and malaise. In the absence of these, infection is not likely. Such there was no history of severe or sudden trauma then fracture or any other severe injury is unlikely. Ligamentous injuries are uncommon in this area. The pain is likely muscular. Though it did not start during the exercise or immediately after, this is common. Pain due to soft tissue injury can increase in a plateau fashion reaching its weak 24 to 48 hours after the initial insult or injury. Unusual or excess use of soft tissue can produce this response. Normally it is self limited once the injury is not aggravated. It should last no more than 7 to 12 days and during that time the intensity should be decreasing. You may want to consider the use of an anti inflammatory pain killer to reduce the inflammation that would be contributing to your discomfort. This includes medications such as naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin. These should be used on a full stomach. I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What is the cause of pain in the left buttock cheek? 6 minutes later
Is anything vascular a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: not likely vascular based on history Detailed Answer: HI Vascular injuries or conditions are normally in 3 main categories, (1)obstruction of a blood vessel,(2) inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis) and (3) impaired flow of blood (due to changes in the structure of the vessel in some way for example damage to valves in venous disease). (1) Obstruction or blood clots generally do not affect this area, they would be more common in the leg. Rarely they occur in the thigh. (2)though vasculitis can occur on its own ,it is commonly associated with other conditions such autoimmune diseases (lupus, RA), it can also occur as an autoimmune attack on the body's blood vessels. Usually additional symptoms. (3)in the third instance , again not normally in this area and additional symptoms such as dilated veins would be seen Based on your history, vascular injury or inflammation is not likely Please feel free to ask any additional questions
Thank you very much for the very detailed answer.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: feel free to contact with any additional queries