What is the cause of pain in my bottom when i defecate?

General Surgeon
Hi, 2 weeks ago I had sharp shooting pains in my lower abdomen during the night whilst asleep. They were extremely painful and I found it very hard to defecate. I managed to pass stools as I was feeling constipated. However, I was prescribed Lacoste from my doctor as my 1 year old son was also constipated. I managed to defecate fine but when I sit down and go to defecate my right side if my bottom really hurts. Could this be a symptom of bowl cancer?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, this is not a cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. No, this is not a cancer symptom. Please note that colon cancer is almost impossible at your age if there was no colon cancer in the family (in young age). So you should not worry about this cancer. Generally at your age any cancer is hardly possible. Lower abdominal pain can be caused by urinary tract infection, inguinal hernia, ovarian cyst. Sometimes gastrointestinal infection can give symptoms like yours. Constipation most common reason is bad diet (low fiber intake, low mineral water intake) or bacterial infection. as a consequence of constipation, rectal pain can appear due to rectal fissure or hemorrhoids. This cam also give trace of blood on the surface of the stool. I suggest you to start with diet improvement. Please avoid fatty foods.. spicy foods, alcohol, chocolate, fruit juices. Increase fiber rich products. Start probiotic intake. If it wont help in few days, you should visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, urine analysis, stool test, thyroid tests. Please also consult gynecologist. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.