Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cause of pain at the time of ejaculation?

Urologist
Question
Hi doctor, hope you can help me with this. Yesterday morning (about 28 hours ago), I woke up with a morning erection, then decided to masturbate, even though my bladder must have been quite full, or at least half full. I usually masturbate after I have been to the toilet. The masturbation was quite short lasting, lying on my back, quite gentle masturbation, not rough, but at the ejaculation point, it didn't feel very good, a little painful during, which I haven't experienced before. I think it must have been related to the bladder not being emptied first. A few minutes later, I possibly made a second mistake, by urinating. It did seem like the urethrea was not ready for urine yet, took a while to succeed. Is it advised to wait a while before one urinates? Then during the day and night I have felt rather uncomfortable, mostly during the night, some pain/discomfort, which feels like it is located at the point where I usually feel if I need to urinate or not. Is this bladder pain? It helps a bit to urinate though. Could I have had some urine in the urethrea accidentally mixed together with the sperm during ejaculation? And is this harmful? I also wanna mention that the night before this I ate two oranges and quite much chocolate, which could make the urine more acid and harmful? I have not had sex for a long time, and never unprotected, so STD is out of the question. Now I am taking some ibuprofen and also some cranberry capsules. Not sure if I should see a doctor yet, since this is so fresh. I have a tendency to see doctor too often and worry about health matters. Could you please shed light to what might have happened? Does it sound like a temporary problem? Or will I next time also feel discomfort during ejaculation? I haven't tried masturbating again, since I think I should rest the area for some days.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi First of all, I want to reassure you that it may not be a big worry to be very concerned about. Taking good amount of water and some rest, would make you feel better in this kind of situation. However, it would be better to rule out urinary tract infection by doing a complete urine examination. Now, I want to answer specifically for each of your question: I also wanna mention that the night before this I ate two oranges and quite much chocolate, which could make the urine more acid and harmful? - Yes, urine's pH may differ based on fluid and food intake. But, not harmful. Good amount of water intake helps in this case. Could I have had some urine in the urethra accidentally mixed together with the sperm during ejaculation? And is this harmful? - This is not harmful. No worries about this. Does it sound like a temporary problem?- Yes it sounds like a temporary problem Could you please shed light to what might have happened? May be due masturbation with filled bladder, some pressure on urethra(temporary) or due to high protein diet or fluids or not taken enough amount of water or urinary tract infection. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Follow-up: What is the cause of pain at the time of ejaculation? 25 hours later
Thank you for replying. Hope you don't mind I have more questions. I hope you are right that it is a temporary discomfort. Thankfully the discomfort seems less now. However, I have noticed my penis glans now appears to be more smooth/slippery than before, maybe a bit smaller as well. Is it possible for the glans to shrink? Does that make it sound more like an infection? I would feel really unlucky if I were to get a urinary tract infection after masturbating. I forgot to mention that I am uncircumcised and have lichen sclerosis for 16 years, but it hasn't given me much problems, just I am more careful to keep it dry in the area, otherwise a wound may develop on the skin near the string of the penis. Would you advise me to not masturbate during these days/weeks? I didn't rush to see a doctor yet, but I will do it over the weekend if anything should happen. Will rest and drink much water, as recommended.One more update: The day after this incident I applied a small amount of Locobase Repair fat cream on my glans, which I had been given by a dermatologist. He told me when I saw him a couple of months ago I could apply it under my foreskin if I feel any irritation there. Now the glans is smaller and smoother, so was this a mistake? Will it grow back?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up. Is it possible for the glans to shrink?- Usually should not occur Does that make it sound more like an infection?- Possibility is less, but no harm in getting tested. Would you advise me to not masturbate during these days/weeks? Not for weeks but for couple of days Now the glans is smaller and smoother, so was this a mistake? Will it grow back? I cannot comment on this unless a physical examination is done and look for the changes, checking what kind of changes that have occured. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future.