What is the cause of nose bleeding during sleep?

Nov 2013

Hi there

When I wake up in the morning I have stains of blood on my pillow where I have been dribbling in my sleep. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of bleeding during sleep, which could stain your pillows is epistaxis- bleeding from the nose.

The common cause for that is nose picking during sleep. However, a low platelet count needs to be excluded.

Please see an ENT doctor if bleeding recurs. No need to worry at present.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog:
Follow-up: What is the cause of nose bleeding during sleep? 3 minutes later
Hi there

Thank you for your very quick reply!

I don't think it's from my nose. I usually dribble saliva from my mouth in the night when i'm asleep, the blood is mixed in with this.

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Just to clarify, there is a common communication between the nose and mouth at the back. So, it is common for nose blood to exit throuth the mouth and throat. In fact, if a person with nose bleed coughs out sputum, it may also be mixed with blood at times.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM