What is the cause of nagging discomfort in lower back from time to time?

I am having a nagging discomfort in my lower back and on my right side from time to time.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Age related Arthralgia Needs Care Detailed Answer: Hello I read your query and i want to reassure you that these back pains are very common and innocuous at your age group, 70 % people of your age have this problem. Age related bone degeneration with additional loss of bone mineral density during post menopausal age secondary to lack of estrogens adds to the fragility of the bones. There is decreased spaces between backbones intervertebral discs all of which give birth to back aches. Here, the pain worsens with stretching, twisting, walking, or bending. or strenuous activities. So you need to rest with the comfortable position you feel in bed to relieve pain. so does coughing, straining, sneezing, or Valsalva maneuvers do to increase pain so avoid them and treat them early cough and constipations. To be on the safer road I would advise an MRI scan of back bone and a bone scan to rule out worrisome conditions like sciatic, spondylosis etc , You need to lose weight, excercise, physical therapy, occupational therapy and unloading therapies to help the back pain, A physio therapist would be of great assistance. You can always treat the pain with topical pain killers which are available over the counter. You may take over the counter oral NSAID like ibuprofen whenever the pain is severe. Skeletal muscle relaxants like Tizanidine would give added benefits; but you will require a prescription. Intra-articular corticosteroid injections are used if pain unbearable and nonresponsive to above mentioned medications. Injections can be provided by back specialist. Hope I was of some help. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you very good luck and take some very good care of yourself. Regards Dr Khan