What is the cause of muscle spams?

Recently I had eye spasms below my left eye, then this week twice when I was yawning I seemed to get a muscle spasm (like a balled up muscle I could feel it in a not) under the right side of my jaw/chin should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
These muscle spasms could be due to simple over stretching of your jaw muscles due to yawning and may not mean anything.
However if you hear a clicking sound on yawning and these episodes start increasing in frequency then,you may consult your doctor and find the cause for this.
In the mean time start taking B complex vitamins and specifically VIT B 12,as their deficiency may also cause this problem.
Take VIT B 12,in oral form,for two weeks and see the response.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: What is the cause of muscle spams? 22 hours later
Thank you! I knew I was deficient in vit. D so could be I have low B as well.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Yes you may be deficient in VIT B levels.
VIT B deficiency is also very common and specially more in vegetarians as his vitamin is found in non vegetarian foods and milk only.