What is the cause of multiple lymph nodes swollen by my groin area ?

Hey, im a soldier currently serving my second tour in iraq and ive seen two doctors here and yet i can't get a str8 answer... In 2007 i noticed multiple lyphm nodes swollen by my groin area the doc told me to just check up on it and if they get larger to come back in... So i waited and i came by in which then he gave me a CBC test and told me that it was nothing to worry about and i should just stop wasteing my time and worrying about this... Now currently i am in iraq again i still have those swollen nodes, the differance is before i deployed here which was in may 12 2011 I had a new swollen node in my groin, i would say close to 2cm big, now it was accompanied by a smaller painful node close by which went away after two weeks or so but the huge one stayed.... So i went in again to the docs and they did a CT scan and identified that the node was swollen, and my abdomin was clear of anything, they also gave me some antiboitics also drew blood to see if it was an infection. Well after i took my meds and did all that the node was still there, so i went back in and i expressed my concern, they again told me not to worry about it and if it gets bigger then to come see them, well about a week ago two new really tiny nodes appeared and they were a little painful not to bad but i can tell they were tender, now they are not tender and they are still hanging out... One of the two new ones is basicly on top of the main large one... Can someone please tell me what the heck is going on????!?! Im also a 27 year old male

SGT Cueli
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 hours later

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Has the size of the main node decreased with antibiotics?
2. Is there any history of unprotected sexual intercourse with an unknown partner?
3. Did you suffer with any injury to the lower limbs or the groin region in the recent past?
4. Are there any symptoms associated with the enlarged lymph nodes like penile discharge, pus discharge in the lower limbs, any unhealed injuries to the lower limbs?
5. Are any similar swellings in the other parts of the body?
6. Did you get any investigations other than CT abdomen for this condition? If yes, can you please state the investigations and the reports.

Lymph nodes in the groin region commonly drains lower limbs, region of penis and the groin. So, usually it is enlarged due to any infection to the above mentioned regions and should reduce after taking a course of antibiotics not completely but atleast in size.

As you have mentioned that the lymph nodes are non tender and are still persists even after antibiotics, so it is a matter of concern and needs complete examination and evaluation.

It would be better to get a FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) of the lymph node as this would help in confirming the cause of the enlargement and would be treated accordingly.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after knowing the details of the above asked questions and also after knowing the reports of FNAC.

Awaiting your reply.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks and regards.
Follow-up: What is the cause of multiple lymph nodes swollen by my groin area ? 3 hours later
1. I believe from the time i noticed it which was two months ago until now it has gotten just a little smaller, but again im not to sure on that..

2. No ive had teh same gf for about 6 months now, but ive been deployed for 2 and a half..

3. No

4. No i have no other symtoms.

5. Nope, just my groin

6. As for the fine needle biopsy i would have to wait untill things calm down, but the node has not gotten any bigger from when it started and its been about 2 and a half months, and these others around three years....

6. It was just teh CT, and blood work to see if i had an infection... They also felt them and they were movable and soft according to the doctor.
Follow-up: What is the cause of multiple lymph nodes swollen by my groin area ? 14 hours later
Oh i also forgot to add, ive had this red patch on the inside of my foreskin it becomes really itchy from time to time and ive had it for years ive head multiple STD checks during that time and it never really showed what it was... I also happen to get when its itchy little red dots on my penis head... I think its maybe a yeast infection or somthing but i don;t know its been around i think i can't remember really good but for about three years so i don't know if this is a contributing factor as to why i got swollen lyphm nodes or if they ever go back down to normal size... Im really freaked out it could be cancer or somthing

Thanks doc

SGT Cueli
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later

Nice to see you again

Overall I feel it is not cancer.

It could, however, be due to the infections on your penis.

These infections are probably not STDs also, as your STD tests were normal. You need to maintain penile hygiene and be in touch with your doctor from time to time.

Hope I have answered your query.