What is the cause of high heart rate when on hydalazine?

I've been taking hydalazine for about 2 to 3 mts and now my hearts pound or heart rate goes up when I take it??? shoud I stop taking it??? Does st. johns wart help with anxiety
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: High heart rate-side effect of hydralazine... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is true that the use of hydralazine is associated with rapid heart rates. Furthermore, getting stressed out/anxious will also increase your heart beats. I suggest to discuss with your cardiologist about this side effect of hydralazine. If your doctor will decide to stop taking it, then, he/she will reduce the dose first until stopping it. I also advise to start taking beta-blockers to optimize your heart rate (e.g. atenolol). With regards to St.Johns wort, it is a herb used to treat anxiety and other psychological conditions. I also advise to take chamomile tea, Valerianna (mix them together) for better results. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana