What is the cause of high blood sugar levels?

I added carvedilol (6.25 mg - 4 per day) to my presciptions two months ago and my heart rate has decreased fro 90 to 60. However, my blood glucose level has increased from 120 to 300+. I amcontemplating weaning myself from this drug to see if blood glucose levels drop back to a more normal diabetic range. If not then I may need to change metformin dosage. I hate to increase metformin without knowing that the carvedilol has not caused the increase. My drug regiment before adding carvedilol has kept my blood pressure, blood glucose, and heart rate within normal ranges for four years. Your thoughts on weaning and possible restarting would be appreciated.Metformin dose is 500 mg/day. I did not list this in my original question.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Carvedilol might cause high blood sugar levels... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concerns with HCM. It is true that Carvedilol use is associated with high blood glucose. Therefore, I strongly suggest to discuss with your doctor to stop using it and to go for another alternative. Once Carvedilol is stopped, your blood glucose will go back to normal; however, it will take few days until you see improvement. To my opinion, you should wait for few other days before increasing the dose of Metformin. Meanwhile, following healthy lifestyle and diet regimen is important too. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What is the cause of high blood sugar levels? 2 hours later
Thank you. Dr. Karanwal (see other question asked on this site) suggested it would have no impact on blood glucose levels and that changes in diabetes meication levels would be required. It is nice to hear that my suspisions may be correct. I am scheduled with my cardiologist Monday and will review options with him. Again thanks for the unbiased opinion.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 14 hours later
Hi back, Thank you for following up. Please bear in mind that increased blood sugar has been reported in patients using Carvedilol. That could be your case too. When you see your cardiologist, can discuss further with him/her. Happy to be assisting you! Dr.Benard.