What is the cause of high SGPT level?

my SGPT is 1750, what is the cause
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 37 minutes later

Alanine transaminase (SGPT) is frequently measured with Aspartate transaminase (SGOT) to evaluate liver function. Normal range for SGPT (ALT) 10-40, SGOT (AST) 10-35. So from your reports it is clear that SGPT level is elevated. ALT and AST elevate in presence of parenchymal damage because of alcohol use and they return in normal range after stoppage of alcohol.

Alanine transaminase (ALT or SGPT):
Alanine transaminase (SGPT), also called Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase (SGPT) is an enzyme present in hepatocytes (liver cells). When a cell is damaged, it leaks this enzyme into the blood, where it is measured. ALT rises dramatically in acute liver damage, such as viral hepatitis or paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose.

Aspartate transaminase (AST or SGOT):
Aspartate transaminase (AST) is similar to ALT in that it is another enzyme associated with liver parenchymal cells. It is raised in acute liver damage, but is also present in red blood cells, and cardiac and skeletal muscle and is therefore not specific to the liver. The ratio of AST to ALT is sometimes useful in differentiating between causes of liver damage. Elevated AST levels are not specific for liver damage, and AST has also been used as a cardiac marker and in certain cancers.

The AST/ALT ratio is sometimes useful in differentiating between causes of liver damage (hepatotoxicity).
-When greater than 2.0, it is more likely to be associated with alcoholic hepatitis
-When less than 1.0, it is more likely to be associated with viral hepatitis

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.