What is the cause of getting bruised easily?

What would cause me to bruise very easily? I just lift a box and support it on my thigh to carry and in 1-2 days I have a huge bruise.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Is this the first time or repetitive? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this bruise. I hope it gets resolved quickly in the days ahead. Considering the information you have provided, this bruise at least has a possible cause. Trauma is the most common cause of bruising and would not necessitate a deeper investigation into this. Unless it has been like this before with minimal or no trauma that we may want to look at possible causes of easy bleeding. If this has been the case, please precise to me with the various circumstances so that I can look into and provide more personalized information. However, if this is the first time you are having this problem, I will suggest we manage the present problem and monitor if any more would occur in future to warrant investigations. Management is really straight forward. Consist in monitoring and pain medications if there is pain. Also, Ice packs would help relief pains. The discoloration would clear over time as the cells of the body reabsorb the blood. This may take months for it to be completely cleared and so yu would need to exercise some patience. I will suggest you avoid supporting heavy objects on your body. I am pretty confident this load was somewhat heavy and probably explains this bruising. I hope tis helps and addresses your query fully. If there are any specifics you would have loved us to talk about, kindly raise them up as a follow up query. I wish you well and thank you for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What is the cause of getting bruised easily? 2 hours later
It is repetitive.Yes the boxes are heavy so I use my body for supporting them I just cant believe the bruise is so huge for just a few steps I take.There is no pain just soreness for a couple of days. So is it a blood disorder. I see that your speciality. Thank you doctor Ditah
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikey to be a blood disorder Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up precision. It is most likely not a blood disorder. What often highlights blood disorder is the spontaneous nature of bruising without any provoking factors. Blood disorders often present with minimal or no trauma. this is not the case with you. However, if you are so worried, a blood test can tell whether you have any clotting abnormality or not. But, this may turn out not to be a wise investment as the chances are very slim to get any abnormal results. In all, avoid trauma. and if still not reassured, get tested for a possible bleeding disorder. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.