What is the cause of excessive flatuence?

What is the cause of excessive flatuence? I am a 53 yr old male, good health, eat fairly health - maybe a little more red meat that I should have but otherwise I eat well non smoker and non drinker, average weight, no bowel issues ( have a daily bowel movement (some days 2 depending on my exercise routine,etc.) that is perfectly normal in consistency, etc., I never have diarrhea or constipation, no gas pains, cramping, bloating or any other abdominal pain. The only issue I have is that I probably pass gas about 20-24 times a day maybe a little more on some days - the majority of that happens in the morning hours. None are foul smelling, loud or anything abnormal. I was diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago but have that under control for the most part. I have been under stress and some anxiety lately so don't know if that would attribute to the frequent gas or not. I have considered taking probiotics to see if that helps. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dietary changes and Simethicone. Exercise Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There are plenty of causes for excess flatus. Many healthy foods may cause gas and pass flatus, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and milk products. Some common are Eating fast, swallowing air, Eating gas producing foods like beans , carbohydrate rich foods, fired and fatty foods. Even drinking carbonated water regularly can also cause excess flatus. You can find the cause of gas on their own by keeping a diary of what they eat and drink and how often you pass flatus. Based on the findings you should change your diet. If these dietary evaluation and changes are not helpful, then you can try products containing simethicone, a medicine that dissolves gas bubbles like Gas-X. Exercise regularly will help in some people to relieve from gas Hope this helps. Wishing you good health.