What is the cause of decrease in RBC with a kidney stone?

Jul 2016

I just returned home from the ER and was diagnosed with a kidney stone, which had me in great pain. This was my second trip to the ER. Last morning, they placed a catherer in me , thinking that my urine was backed up, but it wasn't, I simply was experiencing the onset of the KS, so it was remeoved and I was quite sore. When I returned other doctors treated me, but had a cat scan dne on my lower abdomen and it resulted in the diagnosis. My question is that the doctors iindicated a increased level of Creatinine Serum and BUN from the day before when I entered the ER. They had me drink a lot of water and hydrated me with the intra along with pain killers (Morphine, etc) and because my BUN went from 26 and my Creatine went from 1.23 and now 30 and 1.74 respectivley, they want me to see the assigned urologist before my reg date on the 18th and to contact him Monday to get another blood test. I am 69 years old, taking blood pressure pills and cholesterol medicine. They saw some decrease in RBC (4.80) and Hemoglobin (14.3) they dropped two points, but are concerned over the others I have mentioned going higher. They did say that my condition with the kidney stone may be causing this too. What do you think Doctor?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This is due to reflex deranged kidney function Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had been admitted in ER with severe pain in abdomen and on CT scan revealed that you have kidney stone with raised Serum Creatinine and Urea levels. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) The size and site of kidney stone.? 2) Any back pressure changes in kidney on affected site (Hydronephrosis)? 3) Any signs and symptoms of associated UTI. 4) Have you done ultrasound scanning of abdomen ? The raised Urea and Creatinine is due to reflex deranged kidney function which is common when there is Renal colic and nothing to be worried about. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment to evaluate whether you need any active intervention to treat the stone or can be managed with expectant treatment. In the mean while please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.You can take antispasmodics to relieve pain . Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician. Ensure to drink more keep yourself well hydrated and to keep your urine dilute This will help to lower down urea and creatinine levels. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil
Follow-up: What is the cause of decrease in RBC with a kidney stone? 18 hours later
The stone is 3 mm, I was given a urine screen and I noticed a "sand" type debree which was trapped by the screen device. I am keeping it for the urologist. Due to the elevated BUN and Creatinine levels, I was asked to have another blood test done soon, to determine where those numbers were heading, some sgat had decreased, however, it seems that after the catscan, those numbers were raised. Do those readings begin to normalie any time after the catscan, and if so, how long in general. The catscan was accomplished without any type of contrast, just the catscan itself, but I beleive that is what may have caused the elevation, but the very next day's BT showed some drops, but not in the Creatinine (1.7). I will follow up with a BT asap and with the urologist. I was sent home with antibiotics, pain pills (which I have not used, since I no longer have any pain. Perhaps that little sand item may very well be the stone, I'll find out, but I continue with drinking lots of water and taking the antibiotics and flomax as instructed just in case and I continue screening my urine. I no longer have any back pain or lower groin pain or pressure. My bigger question is if the CS caused the elevation, which was normal, prior to the procedure, does this normally come down to a normal reading, why the doctors requested a new BT. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Cat Scan does not elevate Serum creatinine levels. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. The C.T Scan done without using contrast XXXXXXX does not harm kidney and elevation of creatinine .The sand type debris in urine is most likely to be desquamated cells suggesting infection and this could be the reason for raised creatinine level . Do not worry this should come down after taking antibiotics for a week. Thanks and Regards, Dr.Patil,.