What is the cause of blotchy skin, irritation and itchiness around vaginal opening ?

I have visited my GY often on this issue. I have consistent issues with some slight blotchy skin near and around the opening to the viaginia and consistent irritation and itchiness. We gave tried almost everything, changing my birth control, multiple creams etc. think I might be allergic to something but what to prevent this? I am a newly wed and this had been ongoing for over 6 months.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Excessive itching and irritation in the genital area is most commonly due to fungal infection which is known as Tinea Cruris.

It requires a proper treatment otherwise it keeps on recurring if left untreated.

Usually in such cases the preferred treatment is ointment containing Cotrimazole.

Sometimes if application of one topical antifungal is not enough then then combination medications along with oral are prescribed until the skin is normal and itch disappears.

Please see a Dermatologist for complete examination and get the appropriate treatment.

If the itching is persistent for long then other causes as Drug resistance,Diabetes,Dermatitis along with that are also required to be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query