What is the cause of bleeding during mid cycle?

hi im a 23 year old female, mid cycle and bleeding with mild cramping, i am not on birth control and cannot be pregnant this has never happened before what is going on? very red clot like bloody discharge, already filled three tamponsWHEN WILL I STOP BLEEDING AND WHY IS THIS GOING ON?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult a Gynecologist soon Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The cause for such an intermenstrual bleed could be either a structural defect like a fibroid or due to severe hormonal imbalance preponing your period. I strongly recommend you a visit to a Gynecologist who after examination and investigations like Ultrasound scan be able to identify the cause. It is necessary for you to consult the specialist at the earliest for better and successful management. Wish you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: What is the cause of bleeding during mid cycle? 17 minutes later
do you think its anything serious?-im healthy and don't understand why this is happening, i read it could be an ovulation symptom sometimes if this is the case when should the bleeding and cramping stop.
Brief Answer: Clinical examination will help Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Yes, it could be due to ovulation defects leading to hormonal imbalance. In such cases you may bleed just like a regular menstrual bleed. The other possibility wherein there could be a structural defect like fibroid and could get serious. Hence, I do recommend a visit to a gynecologist. regards,