What is the cause of a sore tummy?

Have a 4 year old that is retching quite often only the past 2 weeks. Had a cough also 2 weeks ago. Complaining of a sore tummy in her belly button . Not constipated or has no urinary infection but has along history of urinary infections. Was wondering what could it be an d should I get it checked out.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sore Tummy Detailed Answer: Hi. I'm sorry your 4 year old is not well. Let's discuss these symptoms. The most common cause of cough in a child this age is a Viral illness. Though this isn't the only cause, in the absence of other respiratory symptoms, or systemic symptoms like fever, this is probably the cause. The retching is probably also due to a viral illness. The viral illnesses that cause this can last anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks. The frustrating part is that it is difficult to predict how long the symptoms may last. In your child's case, though, the symptoms have lasted a while. I still believe this is a viral illness. But I recommend having her looked at by your doctor, just for precautionary purposes. Meanwhile, mind her hydration and make sure she is rested. Hope this answers your query, please write back if you have any doubts. Regards