What is the cause of a lump under my tongue?

Question
Dear doc,
Yesterday morning i Noticed a large golf sized lump (sore to touch)on my left side under my chin on my gland also have a weird lump under my tounge where its attached.It seems like the size got larger and smaller through the day.
Prior to this i have been having dreams of me choking like something is inlarged in my neck making it hard to breath,like its closing up and i cant get my wind.Making it hard to swallow.
HELP!!!
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1) It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to nasal and sinus infections.

2) Second possibility is of salivary gland swelling like sublingual gland infection or blockage which lies beneath the mucous membrane of the floor of the mouth. The sublingual and submaxillary (also called the submandibular) glands empty into the mouth through ducts under the tongue.

Swelling of these glands due to blockage of these ducts leads to interference of production and drainage of saliva and pain and irritation. It may be due to some obstruction like stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

3) Third possibility is of any cyst or benign skin growth.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography, sialendoscopy and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

You have a feature of uploading the pictures on your own on the right side of the query box or you can also send me the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at the photographs and it will help me in understanding the condition better. Please do confirm the uploading or mailing of the pictures by writing here as to reply you back at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: What is the cause of a lump under my tongue? 3 hours later
ATTN. DR. Jasvinder XXXXXXX
Thank you,
But i have one more question could it be gland cancer or throut cancer?
anyway im sending you some pics and ill be going to the doctor this morning.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

It can be a gland cancer and its possibility is there but possibility of throat cancer at this site is remote.

The best test for confirmation of this lump whether it is due to a cancer or not is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.