What is the cause of a hard painless lump in my groin?

I just noticed a small hard pea sized lump in my groin, it doesn't hurt, is it likely to be a cysyt? My sister and mother in law have similar lumps, my mother in law had it removed as hers was larger in her thigh, but sister did not, is it likely to go away on its' own?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

As per the description there are couple of possibilities.

1.cyst -as you are guessing
2.Enlarged lymph gland.

Cyst-are soft structure,you can press it very easily and are pain less.At times they can get enlarged due to pressure or friction.They may or may not have a black dot in center.

Enlarged lymph gland:When ever there is some infection in the surrounding area the lymph nodes in that are gets enlarged.This is a protective phenomenon of our body.With the treatment of infection this subsides.They are firm in consistency and may be painful on pressure.

In either case you need not to worry.

Please look for following :
2.Redness and increase in size of lump
3.Any local problems like boils in the area,some genital problem of discharge or pain.

In presence of above you need to see your physician and take his help.Other wise you need to worry and do anything.

Presence of similar thing in other family members does not seems to be any relevance.

I hope this answers your query,I will be available for follow up.