Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cause for yellowish teeth after a scaling session?

I went for a scaling session and now find my lower front two teeth become half yellow.Also areas of my teeth look very yellowish. I did consume tea after the procedure as I was told to only avoid consuming hot tea but was not told to avoid it completely. Is this curable? I am very tensed. There was no stain before I went for scaling. And now my teeth look very bad. Is there a possibility that My teeth have eroded due to scaling?are these yellow stains just stains?
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for scaling or bleaching as required. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. Firstly I would like to tell you that scaling never leads to erosion.This might be :- - staining in teeth due to tea consumption. - enamel layer might have degraded leading to exposure of dentin which is yellowish in color You need to visit your dentist. If its staining you can go for scaling again & if its due to degradation of enamel you can get it whitened by bleaching. Its nothing to worry at all. Maintain good oral hygiene. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra
Follow-up: What is the cause for yellowish teeth after a scaling session? 20 minutes later
Hi , Thanks for your reply. I am sorry to inform you that am not satisfied by this reply. How can enamel degrade in a span of 1 week? I have clearly mentioned that the teeth were not yellow before scaling!! You have just given me information about yellowish teeth which is very much available over the internet. I had attached the picture of my teeth , have you checked it? Also could you tell me if bleaching helps make dentin look white ? Is that a whitening procedure?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its just staining & can be cured by scaling Detailed Answer: I apologies if my previous answer wasn't clear. You did not mention that scaling was done a week ago. I presumed that scaling was done some time back. I did review the pictures sent and I am pretty sure this is just staining. After scaling, teeth has potential to take stains easily. The tea you took after scaling might have caused these stains. I would recommend you take a second session of scaling and you should be fine. Regarding bleaching, I would like to tell you it whitens the teeth but it doesn't last for longer time & may also lead to sensitivity. Therefore in my opinion, you should go for scaling again and bleaching is always the next option for whitening. Hope it is clear now. If you have any further query just let me know, I will be happy to answer Regards Dr. Neha Sumra