What is the cause for vaginal bleeding, constipation, heartburn and bloating in post menopause?

Mar 2013
Hi, I am post menopausal, I am taking hrt. I have the following symptoms, vaginal bleeding over the last two weeks. It started as a mucus discharge, then a dark brown discharge and it is now a bloody discharge. I have had diahhrea/constipation, recent unusual heartburn and bloating. Passing urine is starting to burn and I feel dehydrated. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: ATROPHIC VAGINITIS MOST LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX THanks for writing to us with your health concern. The most possible diagnosis in your case is - Atrophic Vaginitis. This is a condition where , due to hormonal deficiency that follows menopause, the local vaginal epithelium becomes dry and fragile. The delicate lining is now prone to breaking easily, leading to spotting / bloody discharge. ALso, the same kind of atrophy is present in the entire urogenital area, affecting the urethra too. THis makes it prone to infections easily. Please let me know what kind of HRT you are taking. The treatment for atrophic vaginitis is - local estrogen therapy, in the form of creams, pessaries or the estrogen ring ( Estring ). First, the diagnosis should be confirmed by your gynecologist, before initiating local HRT. Also, a urine examination ( routine / microscopic ) and urine culture is a must to rule out infection. THe heartburn and bloating alongwith the diarrhoea / constipation is very suggestive of a mild gastroenteritis also. Taking plenty of fluids, atleast 4 - 5 litres per day will definitely help, as will upping your intake of yoghurt / curd / probiotics. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.