What is the cause for upper abdomen pain and yellowish sclera in eyes while suffering from gastroenteritis during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I'm 7 weeks pregnant and just had a bout of what I think was gastroenteritis (24 hours of vomiting, some diarrhea), though I did have nausea for 4 days preceding the vomiting which I put down to morning sickness. I also had severe pain around my midsection (front and back) while experiencing the gastro symptoms. This pain has now subsided but I still have some discomfort in my upper left abdomen and I've noticed that the whites of my eyes are yellow. I'm wondering if I should follow up to see if it could be something more than just gastro or whether there are any complications I should be concerned about given that I'm pregnant?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Liver function tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Yellowish discolouration of eyes are features are suggestive of some problem related to liver. 2) Please see doctor immediately. 3) You need to get liver function blood tests done. Please see doctor with the tests. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. Regards, Dr.Mahesh Koregol IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: What is the cause for upper abdomen pain and yellowish sclera in eyes while suffering from gastroenteritis during pregnancy? 19 minutes later
Hi, to be honest I'm disappointed with this level of information. I understand that jaundice is suggestive of liver problems, however it's not clear to me whether this can be a natural and temporary side effect of a gastro infection. The yellow discolouration is not severe. My urine is not dark. Is there any role the preganancy can play here? I will make an appointment with my GP but I was hoping to get more insight into the types of concerns that my symptoms would be suggestive of, if anything.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: detailed answer Detailed Answer: Hi Let me go in detail : 1) First possibility is excessive vomiting and dehydration. If there is too much of fluid loss by vomiting and diarrhea it impairs liver function and yellowish sclera. This is temporary. This happens when morning sickness is too much. 2) Hepatitis A infection which results is vomiting and diarrhea later progresses to yellow sclera. This needs to be treated. 3) This condition is unlikly to be caused as a result of pregnancy. The above 2 factors needs to be ruled our by doing liver function tests. 4) Other rare possibilities are hepatitis B infection which is not common. In any case please get liver function tests, hepatitis A and B IgM tests and urine for ketone bodies. Let me know if you need more information. Regards