What is the cause for tightness and pain in chest?

Jun 2015

My chest feels tight and achy like heartburn. I woke up this morning feeling it since 7 in the morning. I ate a small sandwich last night, late at night and had a small dinner around 8Pm last night.
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Increased gas+excess acid production in stomach Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to increased gas formation in the stomach secondary to excess acid production. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of antacids like Pantoprazole (to be taken half an hour before food) & anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation (to be taken after food). And it is also needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle, such as: 1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods 2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration 3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc. 4. Avoid smoking & alcohol. 5. Keep away stress, think positive. 6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation. If symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult a Gastroenterologist & get a proper physical examination. Investigations like Endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract & Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful in detecting any pathological cause for the symptoms. Since you also have a history of Hypertension, a fresh estimation of blood pressure level & Electrocardiogram will be needed to rule out any pathology in Cardiovascular system. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Please let me know if I can clarify further. Wishing a good health. Take care.