What is the cause for throbbing pressure pain in side of neck during cardiovascular exercise?

May 2014

Hello, I'm a 28 yo female, with throbbing pressure pain in left front side of my neck during cardiovascular exercise. The throbbing pain last about a half hour after exercise , but will have pressure/ burning pain for several days after. This has been going on for several months. I've been on atenolol 25mg XXXXXXX for about a year for tachycardia. When they started me on atenolol I presented with a HR of 160-180. They did a contrast ct to rule out pte. They pre meded me with pred and iv benedryl due to an allergy to the XXXXXXX When they flushed the iv benedryl I had excruciating pain in my left upper chest / neck similar to the pain I am experiencing during exercise. My echo was normal , CT normal, EKG just had several PVCs. Also have a history of syncopal episodes and have been diagnosed with potts. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Suggested carotid and vertebral artery Doppler Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Atenolol is a safe medication for tachycardia. I would like to know in detail about your Potts. I guess that you underwent CT chest to rule out pulmonary thromboembolism and it was normal. As you are having the throbbing pain and regular syncopal attacks, I would suggest a bilateral carotid and vertebral artery Doppler scan for you. This will tell us the dynamics of blood flow from the heart to the brain. Any obstruction or flow abnormalities will be known. Any particular growth in the path will also be detected. There are conditions where is there may be decrease in blood flow due to narrowing of carotid due to plaque formation or external compression by a growth. Please update me with your Potts diagnosis and treatment taken for it. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek