What is the cause for stye on lower eye lid and how to prevent from reoccurring?

2 weeks ago I had a stye develop on the bottom lid of my right eye. I had tetrocyclin ointment to put on it after about 5 days whe I saw my doctor. However it sitll has a visible head and when touched it seems like a boild still exists. Are stye known to return after being treated? and What is it that causes this problem? Whaat can be done to prevent it from reoccurring?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, they can recurr Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Yes, Stye once treated can recur. This happens due to failure of the antibiotic to remove all of the bacterial agents. Hence, applying a better antibiotic like Mupirocin or Neosporin is advised. Once the offending bacterial agent is removed then the recurrence is rarely expected. regards,
Follow-up: What is the cause for stye on lower eye lid and how to prevent from reoccurring? 2 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have another question - the 2 products you referred to, can they be purchased over-the-counter or do I need a prescription for either one? Thanks again for your help. Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Over the counter Detailed Answer: Hi, You can purchase either of them over the counter. Brand names would be MUPIMET and NEOSPORIN. Regards,